Friday, June 29, 2007

I just ate a $4 peach!

Japan sort of has a reputation for being an expensive country



They have a love of fine produce and sometimes this can go to extremes.....

I have seen boxes of six oranges sold for $10, and a lovely cantaloupe with a bow on it for $30 (the bow makes it a gift, and since it's a gift it can be overpriced!).
But the greatest one was at Mitsukoshi department store in the famous Ginza district--one mango (with a bow of course) for $20!

I have always fancied myself a careful shopper, and only succumbed to buying expensive strawberries in the winter because.... they tasted really good.
Well, today I saw a peach and began dreaming of the mouth watering peaches from Northern California, where you can buy a huge bag in June for $5 or $6.

I took one beautiful peach and brought it to the register, and it rung up for $4.00!!!
I almost had a heartattack but I took the plunge and bought it--telling the bagger to please be extremely careful with my precious fruit.

I should have immortalized the legendary fruit, but alas I simply ate it.
And enjoyed every (expensive) bite.

No comments: